You can preserve the quality and function of your retainer by following these instructions:
- Wear your retainer at all times, unless instructed otherwise by Dr. Galati.
- Remove your retainer during mealtimes and when brushing your teeth. Place it back in its case when it’s not in your mouth. Most lost retainers go missing in school cafeterias or restaurants.
- Clean the retainer thoroughly each day using a toothbrush and toothpaste. Keep the water warm or at room temperature, but not hot. Cleaning your retainer removes the plaque and eliminates bad odors. You can use Efferdent® or other orthodontic appliance cleaners to enhance the clean, but do not have it take the place of brushing.
- If your retainer is not in use, it should ALWAYS be in its case. Pets love to treat retainers like chew toys!
- You may find it difficult to speak when you first receive your retainer. You can become accustomed to it faster by practicing speaking, reading, or singing out loud.
- Retainers are not indestructible, so treat yours with care. If your retainer becomes lost or broken, contact our office immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainer, or you believe it needs adjusting, call our office right away. Retainers should only be adjusted by an orthodontist or orthodontic professional. Do not try to adjust it yourself.
- Bring your retainer to every orthodontic appointment.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.
- Retainer replacements are expensive, but with proper care your retainer can last for many years!
For more information about how to properly care for your retainer, call Galati Orthodontics at 480-656-7801 today.