Orthodontic Treatment for Adults
While many patients believe orthodontic treatment is for teens, the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) has revealed that 1 in 5 orthodontic patients is an adult. More and more adults are deciding to undergo orthodontics because they want to maintain their oral health and improve the appearance of their smiles. With adult orthodontics becoming more popular, now is an excellent time to visit the orthodontist and receive the smile you have always wanted.
Common Reasons to Receive Adult Orthodontics
- A malocclusion (bad bite) that causes the teeth to come together improperly
- Overcrowded or gapped teeth that can lead to tooth decay and periodontal disease
- Desire for greater oral health and overall health, and a more attractive smile
- Improvement of tooth or bite positioning to accommodate cosmetic or restorative work (eg. bridges, crowns, dental implants, etc.)
Treatment Options for Adults
Many adults forego orthodontic treatment because they do not want metal braces. The good news is that modern orthodontics now offers a variety of braces and appliances that are aesthetic, comfortable, and customized to your unique needs.
Galati Orthodontics is pleased to offer clear braces and office-made clear aligner trays, in addition to metal braces.
What is the difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens?
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults have a higher risk of experiencing gum recession and bone loss because of advanced periodontal disease. Patients who have straight teeth are less likely to develop periodontal disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Teeth can wear down and shift over time. If one or more teeth are missing, the other teeth may begin to shift and tilt, resulting in a bad bite and increasing the risk of periodontal disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults have undergone some form orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but did not complete treatment, while others stopped wearing their retainers. Now as adults, they want to finish their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they have always wanted.
Dr. Galati and our team recognize that adults and children have different needs, and require different levels of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure you receive the most appropriate treatments, and that your individual needs are met with understanding and respect from our office.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Properly aligned teeth are easier to care for with flossing and brushing and are at a lower risk of health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontics can increase your self-confidence, providing you with a higher quality of life and the ability to smile without hiding your teeth.
- Mouths left untreated can grow worse — Avoiding necessary orthodontic treatment can result in long-term health issues that cost more in the long run.
Are you considering adult orthodontics in Scottsdale, Arizona? Please feel free to contact our office at 480-656-7801 and arrange a consultation. We understand you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.